Mystery writers should look carefully at the exploding world of digital publishing. The year 2011 has seen a dramatic increase in both the number of e-books published and the number purchased. The advent of electronic readers is fast driving electronic books towards a tipping point that will result in them surpassing print books in popularity. Here are 12 reasons mystery writers should consider e-publishing their novels.
- Amazon has recently sold more e-books than print books.
- Many print book publishers are now publishing books in digital versions as well as paper formats.
- Mark Coker, CEO of Smashwords a digital publishing house, claims his company’s biggest number of downloaded books goes to iPhone users followed by other E-readers.
- E-books can be ordered through brick and mortar bookstores as well as on-line.
- Readers find e-books very convenient. E-books are great for travel and vacation. They can load twenty novels into one small Nook or Kindle.
- Hardcover books present a space issue for readers both on bookshelves and bed stands. E-readers take up the space of one paperback and hold several novels.
- Readers can have their books instantly by simply downloading them to their e-reader. In addition, they can load them into their other devices—Kindle, iPad, iPhone, laptop—making them accessible for reading anywhere, anytime.
- E-publishers are more willing to accept new authors because their publishing expenses are lower.
- Often the hurdle of an agent is avoided by direct contact with the publisher.
- E-publication of manuscripts can take as little time as a month.
- Author royalties from e-books are much higher than those from print books, sometimes four times as high.
- E-books are great formats for genre writing.
E-publishing is certainly an additional path to publishing that mystery writers should consider.
Other writing tips: