After you’ve spent time and effort to write an excellent mystery novel your work doesn’t end. It changes. Now you must begin the difficult task of marketing your book. A press release is an important part of your marketing effort. You will send it to local newspapers and radio stations. Here is what you should include in your press release.
• Open your press release with a brief list of basic details: John Smith announces the release of his new novel, “Murder in Silence” on April 4, 2012 available on amazon.com in both print and ebook formats.
• Provide a brief summary of your story in the second paragraph. Remember, brief means brief: “Murder in Silence” is the story of a deaf woman who ends up a witness to murder. She now must catch the killer before the killer catches her.
• State why you think this book is worth reading: The novel highlights the struggles faced by a deaf woman in achieving a profession and a successful, independent life. This book will provide the reader with insight and understanding of the challenges of the hearing impaired.
• If possible, include a couple of one-sentence rave reviews about you and your book.
• Last, provide the name of the publisher, ISBN and the price of the book.
Tuck a picture of your book cover and a 5×7 photo of yourself in the envelope with the press release along with a short bio page.
That’s it. Now all you have to do is mail or drop it off at the newspaper office and watch your book sales soar.
More Marketing Tips: