• French novelist Georges Simenon created Inspector Maigret and wrote 84 Maigret mysteries along with many other novels. At least 500 million copies of Simenon’s books have been translated into more than 50 languages.
• Spanish novelist Arturo Perez-Reverte is the best-selling Spanish author in the world. Most of his thrillers are based on real historical events. He is known for his in-depth research.
• German novelist Pieke Biermann is considered the “Queen of German Crime.” Her hard-boiled police procedurals set in Berlin star self-adoring chief inspector Karin Lietze.
• Norweigian novelist Karin Fossum is Norway’s “Queen of Crime.” One of her Inspector Sejer novels won the Los Angeles Times Book Award.
• English novelist P. D. James furthered the mystery novel tradition in her stories about Detective Adam Dalgliesh. Her novels explore relationships, motivations, social justice and meanings of justice.
Consider sampling each of these authors.